Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Politicians Are Like Dogs In The Pound

Now I know that most people have visited their local pound once or twice to adopt an animal.  So you will understand exactly what I'm saying.  When you go to the pound, you look for an animal that is cute, lovable and reaches out to you.  Unfortunately, when people choose an animal, they often forget that the cute little puppy or kitten will eventually grow up.  This creates a problem later on down the road, because the adult animal may not have the temperament you thought it had, OR it may end up being bigger than what you thought when it was small.  Aren't politicians like that?

When Dems are campaigning, they give us platitudes and ideas that SOUND really good.  They even make you feel warm and fuzzy inside.  A Dem is really good at suggesting they are going to "reduce" the deficit or debt while stating what they're going to "give" you.  But...just like that cute little puppy, they grow!  And all of a sudden, you're faced with a gigantic beast that requires a lot more "food" than you thought.  I discussed this idea with my human, and I decided that if more people would take a little time to ask questions....some of these Dems would end up staying in the pound!

"Shasta," Candi began, "I have adopted and/or rescued many animals in my time.  One thing I've learned is to ask questions about the breeding of the animal.  For example, I want to know what kind of mix a puppy is before I take it so that I can do research and estimate what it's needs may be.  I adopt the same attitude with government.  I do research on politicians, what they stand for, how they've voted on past issues and how many times they've voted in direct violation of their campaign promises.  More people need to take this attitude.  If they did, maybe we wouldn't have some of the problems in this country that we currently have."

"Well why don't they?" I asked.

"We like to feel warm and fuzzy.  And it's easier for us to take the word of someone else than it is for us to check it out ourselves."

So here is my advice.  Treat every Dem, and even Republicans, like a dog in the pound.  Do your research, ask questions, and then decide which animal would suit your ideas and needs best.  I'd be willing to bet that we'll see a lot more Dems left in the pound than Republicans.

No comments:

Post a Comment